June 1, 2020
Pulled Pork in the Pressure Cooker
A lot of people will hate me for claiming that pulled pork from the pressure cooker is good… but for those who don’t have 12 hours and a smoker, it does just fine.
Yields : 8-10 Servings
- Pulled Pork
- 3-6 lbs. pork shoulder, cut into large cubes
- 1 cup barbecue sauce (plus extra for the end)
- 1 ½ cups sweet beer or soda of choice (I used Red’s Apple Ale)
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 1 Tbsp onion powder
- 1 Tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 Tbsp stone ground mustard
- 1 tsp chili powder (use more for a spicier pulled pork)
- 1 tsp thyme, fresh or dried
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- Combine all the sauce ingredients in a large bowl and whisk to fully combine.
- Add the pork pieces to the Instant Pot and pour the sauce on top.
- Lock the lid and cook on high pressure for 80 minutes. When the pork is done the cooking and you hear the beeping sound, do a 10-20 min natural pressure release. Release the remaining pressure manually and carefully remove the lid.
- Transfer the pork and juices from the pressure cooker into a large roasting pan. Shred it using two forks.
- Turn the oven onto Broil and place the pulled pork on the middle rack. Let cook for 8-10 minutes or until the pork starts to brown. Stir, and continue to cook for another 5-8 minutes.
- Top with extra bbq sauce.
- Serve pulled pork immediately on buns, if desired top with coleslaw and more barbecue sauce.